When a video is uploaded to SEQTA, it is automatically converted into formats so it is viewable in SEQTA on any platform/device without needing to be download. To ensure the server is not put under load, jobs are queued and run one or two at a time. While the job is being processed or sits in the queue it will be flagged as 'Media processing'.
Processing media (transcoding) a very resource hungry process, for example, with high res it can take to one min to process one min of video/audio. This can cause issues as it delays other smaller jobs.
When a video or audio file has finished being processed by the system there is no feedback to the screen. This means even if the file is processed in a few seconds it will sit there saying 'Media Processing' unit the browser is refreshed or the user navigates to somewhere else and come back.
We hope in the future to be able to increase the number of jobs running at a time, however, this would likely require most our schools to add resources to the server.
In the meantime, some other factors to consider which may assist with mitigating long media processing delays (and save disk space) are as follows:
- Have teachers upload files only once into SEQTA, then if needing to add it somewhere else, like in a lesson select ADD FILE > SEQTA. Multiple copies of 300Mb+ files can add up when it comes to resources and disk space.
- Record in lower quality. One minute in 4K (UHD) is 84Mb verses one minute in 1080p (FHD) which is 20Mb.
- Lower the Max file size for SEQTA Teach and/or SEQTA Learn (eg. 100Mb). This can be done through the ADMINSITRATION WORKSPACE > APPLICATION SETTINGS > search for 'file size'.
- ZIP files before uploading if they don't need to be transcoded
- Use SEQTAs Youtube media integration, these will then be transcoded and saved by YouTube as private videos
- Ensure staff are aware that when uploading large media files they may take a long time to process and not to try upload them again. Rather, wait for it to finish
Please contact the Service desk if there are significant delays or errors when uploading. Where possible please include one or two examples.