NAPLAN and OLNA files can be imported into SEQTA through the Report archive. Once imported, the files will also be available through the SIP and (if set as visible) in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage.
This process if for importing the students PDF reports not for importing statistical information. Steps for importing statistical information are available in the article Standardised testing setup steps
This page contains the following sections:
- Prepare the files for importing
- Import the files
- Set the Files as Visible in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage
- Saving files which could not be matched to be imported separately
- What methods are available for importing NAPLAN data?
Prepare the files for importing
Individual files need to be in a ZIP file to be uploaded using the bulk import tool. TFor the files to import, the individual PDFs need to contain the student 'firstname' and 'surname', with a filename part separator (eg. an underscore separating the name).
This is to allow the system to match the files with the student's in SEQTA. It's highly recommended that the student 'code' be included file name and match on that, instead of firstname and surname, as this way no manual selection of students is required (ie. students with the same first and surname).
*Optional - used for amending file name to include additional information* Place the individual PDF's into a folder before being zipped. The folder name will then be amended to the start of the file name (see below for more information). The steps for this are as follows:
- If the files are already in a ZIP file right-click the folder, select 'Extract all...'
- Put the files into a folder if they aren't already and give the folder a helpful name (eg. 2021 Naplan Y3). This name will appear as the first part of the filename when downloaded
- Right-click the folder and choose 'Send to ZIP'. Give the ZIP file a helpful name (eg. 2021 Naplan). This will display only in the SIP next to the file
Import the files
Refer to above information of steps on preparing files for importing and ensuring the system has enough information in the file name to match the files with the students.
- Go to the Administration workspace > Academic reports > Report archive
- Click the Bulk Import button
- Select Add file and navigate to the Zip file click to select it then click OK. This may take sometime to load and is subject to the filesize limit
- Enter a timetable period, this will normally be the year (eg. 2021). This displays in the Report archive filters and in Learn and Engage.
- Enter a report type (eg. NAPLAN). This displays in the Report archive filters and in Learn and Engage.
- The data should display in multiple columns. If they don't ensure the required Filename separator is in the top-right corner
- If the code is included in the filename match on code only. If there is no code, then match on firstname and surname
- If the year is included in the filename, select School year from the dropdown for that column
- On the right-hand side it should display the students name under Inferred student. Select the correct student if there are two matches. Note: Note any names which can't be matched (due to apostrophes or spacing in the name). These will need the individual files renamed to include the student 'code', placed in a folder and Zipped, then imported as a separate batch.
- Click OK
The files should now show in the Report archive. Refresh the page and the files should also show in the SIP under student files.
Set the Files as Visible in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage
- Go the Administration Workspace > Academic Reports > Report Archive
- Use the drop-down filters at the top of the page to display the relevant reports
- Click on the check box in the top left corner to select the reports - they should highlight in Blue. This will only select one page of reports (there are 50 per page).
- Click the Show button for SEQTA Learn and/or SEQTA Engage. If they don't line up, the Show/Hide buttons on the left are for SEQTA Learn and the right are for SEQTA Engage.
- If there is more then one page click on the arrow in the bottom-right corner then click the check box to select them all.
- Click the next arrow in the bottom-right corner to go to the next page, then follow steps 4 and if necessary repeat for all remaining reports
- Click Save
What will the file name be once the Naplan files are imported?
By default, if the PDF's are in a ZIP file the filename will be that of the individual PDF's (eg. Downey_Jacob_Y03_2507)
If the files are put into a folder (eg. Naplan Y3) and then the folder sent to ZIP. Then folder name will be included (eg. Naplan Y3/Downey_Jacob_Y03_2507').
The ZIP file name is displayed in the SIP and is not part of the file name.
Saving files which could not be matched to be imported separately
- Right-click the ZIP file with all of the student files > select 'Extract All...' > select 'Extract. This will open the files in a folder.
- Find then right-click the file for student. Rename the file so it includes the student code in front
- Select the files 7 files (to do this hold-down <CTRL> and select files)
- Right-click one of the selected files and select 'Send to' > 'Compressed (zipped) folder
- Name the ZIP file NAPLAN
What methods are available for importing NAPLAN data?
1. Import the PDF files so they appear under Student files in the SIP. The steps are here: Importing NAPLAN or OLNA files (option to be made visible in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage). To increase the file size limit should you need go to the ADMINISTRATION WORKSPACE > APPLICATION SETTINGS and search for 'file size' (without the quotes).
2. Import the Standardised testing data from the CSV which will then display in the Information pan of the SIP under 'Standardised tests'. This process may require you to create formulas on the spreadsheet and configure everything correctly. The steps can be found here: Standardised Testing Data Setup Checklist.