- Why did I receive a copy of an email I sent to other people? Why is it addressed to another person?
- Why is there no option to email parents?
- Is it possible to customise emails sent through the SEQTA suite?
- What can I do if an email to the entire school fails?
- How do I know if an email/letter has been sent?
- How do I know if an email has bounced?
- Which separator is best to separate email names?
- Error when emailing through Gmail – Request too large
- Multiple correspondence being received per contact
- SMSes or emails not being received
- Why can't I email a class? How can I troubleshoot this issue?
- Why has a student no longer enrolled in my class received a class email?
- Can academic reports be emailed to parents?
- Special characters displaying as "?" when viewing emails
- What information is required when reporting issues?
Unable to copy or view complete email address from SIP
- The email address may not display in full depending on the screen resolution, browser zoom and screen size.
- Hovering on the email address should display the full address regardless of the computer or browser. Let me know if this doesn't work.
- Click and drag across the email address will copy the visible part, so only the last bit of the address needs to be typed
- Right click on the address and copy won't work in Safari or Chrome, due to the way we have coded that part of the SIP and the way the browsers work. Firefox on the Mac and Windows will copy the entire text, eg: "?firstname.lastname@example.org".
Why did I receive a copy of an email I sent to other people? Why is it addressed to another person?
When a staff member sends an email through SEQTA, a copy will also be sent to the sender. If the email was sent to multiple recipients, the copy sent to the sender will have the salutation of the first contact in the list of people the email was sent to. It is possible to confirm this by viewing the correspondence logs by selecting the sender's name.
This behaviour cannot be prevented, as it is by design. The intention is to help people keep track of emails they have sent, particularly teachers who often do not have access to the 'Correspondence' page.
Why is there no option to email parents?
If this option is missing from the Attendance roll page or the Marks book this indicates that either:
- The teaching staff have not had the permissions assigned to allow them to email from SEQTA Teach.
- The Contacts have no email flag. To check this, bring up a student in the SIP. If there is an email flag, an envelope icon will be visible beside the guardians name. See the article Contact Rules for more information. Alternately, report the issue to the school's SEQTA administrator or the SEQTA Service Desk.
Is it possible to customise emails sent through the SEQTA suite?
Yes, emails sent through SEQTA suite can be customised to include a school logo or header image. See: Customising letters and emails (digital and print)
What can I do if an email to the entire school fails?
This can happen if the web-browser has timed out, for example if the send process takes more than 5mins. Where possible try one of the following to minimise issues:
- If there are no 'merge' fields being used, change the mode from 'Basic student data' to 'Plain message'.
- If using any 'mode' other then Plain message, include only a few hundred students at a time, as the system will take longer due to the use of merge fields.
- Ensure there are no images in the email.
How do I know if an email/letter has been sent?
Check by clicking Pastoral care workspace > Student Summary >Correspondence log OR Administration workspace > Correspondence > Correspondence log. The correct permissions must be set for the user to be able to view the log.
How do I know if an email has bounced?
Bounced emails are not recorded in the log. However, a reply will be sent notifying of the bounce back to whomever is set in the the 'from' or 'reply-to address'.
Which separator is best to separate email names?
Different email clients (Outlook, Apple mail) use different separators in between the email addresses. The majority of email clients use a semi-colon, which is the default set in SEQTA. Apple email uses a comma.
SEQTA does not support two types of separators (ie. a comma and a semi-colon) as it doesn't know which email client is installed on the computer, residing outside of SEQTA. If the majority of users are on a MAC, the school may request the setting be changed to a comma.
Option 1: Send emails directly through SEQTA using the Correspondence page. If an email needs to be sent to a specific class, add the class using the ... next to the select student dropdown list.
Option 2: Change the email separator manually before sending the email. To do this, copy the list of email addresses which SEQTA has automatically populated in the BCC field of the email client, then paste them into a notepad tool, find and replace the ; with a , then paste the list back into the BCC field.
Unable to email Students & Guardians
When emailing through the Attendance roll or Marks book SEQTA parses the email addresses through the browser to the default email client using a 'Mail to' link. This may fail in some cases, depending on the number and length of email addresses the link contains. This is due to a limitation (approx. 2000 characters) which is applied outside of SEQTA by the operating system, browser, and email client installed on the device.
There are various other options available:
- Send to students and parents separately
- Change to Direct messaging rather then email
- Send the emails through SEQTA (ie. the Emailing Through SEQTA)
Multiple correspondence being received per contact
Please refer to the article Why are parents receiving multiple emails?
SMSes or emails not being received
Check in the Correspondence log to see if the SMS or email has been successfully sent. If it has been sent, but not received, please email through an example with the following details:
- parent name
- when it was sent.
The quickest way is to take a screen-shot of the correspondence log, as all the required information will be displayed.
If the email is not showing in the correspondence log at all, this may be a result of the following:
- the email was sent from the Marks book or Attendance page. This method will send the email through the staff members email program, which is out-side of SEQTA Teach.
- no Email flag on contact. Verify in the SIP that there is a Contact that has been flagged for email. An Email icon will display beside the contact name. The contact must also have an email address showing.
Why can't I email a class? How can I troubleshoot this issue?
- Check to ensure the file association settings are correct
- When emailing a class from the Attendance roll or Marks book, an email should open up with the address in the BCC field. If this doesn't occur, have the school's IT department check to ensure there is an email client setup and that it is set as the default.
- Check the email address ";" is accepted by the email client, as some programs use a different separator.
- If there are a large number of recipients, the link being sent from the browser to the email program may be over the 2048 character limit which may fail to send (the link is made up of all of the email address). If this is the case, delete half the recipients from the 'BCC' field in the email and send in two batches.
- Does an error appear? If so, please take a screenshot and forward to email@example.com for further investigation.
- Less commonly in some email clients, when the link being sent from the browser to the email program goes over the 2048 character limit, the bcc field remains blank.
Why has a student no longer enrolled in my class received a class email?
This issues occurs due to the way the system determines which email address to add. At present, the 'email' option, emails all of the students showing on the attendance roll page (as opposed to all students currently enrolled in the class). We are aware of this behaviour and are currently looking into a resolution. In the meantime, the best option is to remove the email address for the student no longer in the class, prior to sending the email.
Can academic reports be emailed to parents?
No, this functionally is not available. To share academic reports online, the recommended process is to archive them and set them as visible in SEQTA Engage. If enabled, SEQTA will send an automated 'unread notification' email if the parent doesn't check them within a certain number of days.
Special characters displaying as "?" when viewing emails
Users may experience issues with special characters displaying as a question mark symbol in emails sent from SEQTA.
The display of special characters relies largely on the capability of the email program or web-browser being used. On very rare occasions, the device itself may not have the font required to display the character correctly.
The likelihood of such issues is greater when the text is copy and pasted from another application into SEQTA (primarily Word). Where this is the case, hidden coding (that word uses to beautify the text), is also carried along.
In most cases this issue will not occur if the text is typed directing into the SEQTA editor, with the special characters being entered using the keyboard shortcut (see example below). For more information on this and full listing of special characters, search for 'What are special keys in keyboard?' in Google.
Keyboard shortcut examples
- E with accent - é: Alt+0232
- French C-cedille (lowecase) - ç: Alt+0231
What information is required when reporting issues?
- Details of the issue
- Details of the page the email is being sent from (a screenshot is preferred)
- Name of the person who sent the email
- The date the email was sent