There are various methods for managing the follow-up of Unresolved absences. The methods used will depend on the school's Policies and Processes with regards to managing Attendance.
Viewing Student Absences
Student absences can be viewed in the following areas:
- In the SIP under the Attendance pane
- On the Attendance administration page under 'Day-by-Day'
- Through the teachers timetable by clicking on the attendance icon "@" for a class
- On various attendance reports (eg. Absences unresolved)
- In SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage in the 'Unresolved absences dashlet' (if enabled)
The 'Absentee SMS' page can be used to notify parents and guardians when a student is absent. This is typically run every day, to follow up on students who where absent from the morning classes. Absentee SMSes can only be sent by school's that have the SMS component of SEQTA implemented.
Following up absences using the Correspondence page
The Correspondence page can be used to merge student attendance data into SMSes, emails, letters or Direqt messages. To make full use of this option, a letter template and Preset can be created through the Correspondence page.
An example of how these may be used, is to merge the dates and periods a student has been marked absent for, based on attendance type, within a set date range. Correspondence can then be sent to the applicable students parents/guardians without the need to select the individual student names.
Printing the absentee follow up letter
The 'Follow up Letter' report can be printed through the 'Attendance Administration' page or the Attendance pane in the SIP. The Absentee follow-up letter is customised under the school's Flexible Support Package.
If the report displays the message 'Code 560: No results found' this indicates there are no absences in the date range or there are no contacts flagged for 'Post' (the 'MAIL' icon next to the contact name in the SIP).
The steps for printing the Absentee follow up letter for multiple students are as follows:
- Go to the Administration workspace > Attendance administration > Reporting
- Select the report Absentee followup or Absentee followup (with periods)
- Set the date range, time range and date repetition
- Select the students
- Click Print
The steps for printing the Absentee follow up letter for an individual student are as follows:
- Select the student name in the SIP
- Click on the View attendance history icon '@' to the right of the SIP
- Click the Print follow up button
Printing absentee attendance reports
There are various reports available from the 'Attendance Administration' page that display students with unresolved absences.
Reports with Linear view (Time-based) in the name, display all attendance for the student including those that do not appear under the standard view.
The most commonly used reports are:
- Absences (unresolved)
- Absences (unresolved)(linear view/time-based)
Attendance alerts and absentee follow up
If a student has an Attendance Alert and no 'absence' is showing, this indicates either:
- The absence was resolved for the current day (Attendance alerts are only updated overnight).
- The attendance runs for only a short period of time or is outside school hours.
- There are no unresolved absences for the student after the Attendance alert reset date specified in Application settings.
Displaying unresolved absences in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage
Unresolved absences can be displayed on the dashboard page in SEQTA Learn and SEQTA Engage. The steps for enabling and configuring the Unresolved absences dashlet can be found in the following article:
Using a Pastoral care note
A Pastoral care note can be created to record communications regarding a student's absences. This also provides the option for the parents, guardians, students and staff to receive a notification email, SMS or Direqt message with the details.
For more information on Pastoral care notes please refer to the following article: