- Syllabus from curriculum authorities is not managed by the school, please notify the SEQTA Service desk of the details should changes or additional items be required
- Individual syllabus items for custom syllabus can be added and managed through the 'Data Management' page.
- Bulk changes for custom syllabus can be added to this spreadsheet and emailed to the Service desk to be imported. If unsure as to which data goes into which fields notify the Service desk of which 'Syllabus set' it's for and a spreadsheet with an example will be provided.
If bulk imports are required for reports please notify the service desk of the date required, during busy period this may require a lead time of 10 working days.
In SEQTA the term 'Syllabus' is used interchangeably with 'Outcomes' or 'Competencies'. Syllabus provided from the Curriculum authorities which are managed by SEQTA and can be updated on request.
This Article contains the following sections:
- Methods for Adding and Managing Syllabus
- Adding Syllabus Items via the Data Management Page
- Syllabus Data Mapping and Spreadsheet Template
- Syllabus Table Structure
- Syllabus Table Definitions
- Further Assistance
- Syllabus import template
Methods for Adding and Managing Custom Syllabus
- Custom syllabus can be accessed and managed through the 'Data Management' page.
- Bulk changes: In most cases, where there is a lot of Syllabus to be added it's quicker to add it to this spreadsheet and email it to the Service desk to be imported.
If needed for reports please notify the service desk of the date required, during busy period this may require a lead time of 10 working days.
Adding and managing syllabus items
This method should not be used for Syllabus sets managed in the Syllabus Warehouse (uses versioning).
- Go to Administration Workspace > Data Management (Admin permission 'DATA: EDIT' required to access this page).
- Select Syllabus Items from the left menu.
- Choose one of the following options
- Click Add Record to create a new Syllabus item. Check an existing syllabus item to see which data goes into each field (also ensure it hasn't already been added)
- To Edit on existing record, search for the code then select the record to open the edit window
Syllabus data Mapping and spreadsheet template
Please note the headings on the Spreadsheet Template are in the format of 'table/component. field name'. Click here to download the Spreadsheet Template.
Images below shows which fields are mapped to which columns in the spreadsheet template
Image below: The mapping of Syllabus fields to the SEQTA interface
Syllabus Tables Structure
The below information outlined the Syllabus table structure and how they link together.
- Each Syllabus set can have multiple Syllabus versions.
- Each Syllabus area must be assigned to one Syllabus version/Syllabus set.
- Each syllabus item is assigned to one Syllabus set/Syllabus version/Syllabus area.
Syllabus Table Definitions
- Syllabus Set: This is the overall grouping for the Syllabus.
- Syllabus Versions: Each set can have multiple versions. This makes use of the Data Warehouse functionality that allows the syllabus links in Programmes to be updated enmass. Syllabus versions are linked to Syllabus sets.
- Syllabus Areas: Previously know as 'Area Code'. This is a sub-category within a set. The Syllabus area is linked to the Syllabus version.
- Syllabus Items: This is the individual Syllabus link (or UOC) which is added to the Programme. The Syllabus item is linked to the set, version and area. Use the search box when creating a new Syllabus item. If too many results are returned when searching for a set, try searching for the area (i.e. Dance).
- Syllabus Content: Syllabus content is linked to the Syllabus item. This is an optional field and is used to display more detailed information on the Syllabus item which is not included on reports.
- 'Up to date' indicates the syllabus is managed in the Syllabus warehouse
- 'Deprecated' means it is the old, pre-warehouse syllabus.
If assistance is required with managing Syllabus or completing the Spreadsheet Template, please raise a Ticket with the SEQTA Service Desk, please include an example Syllabus item and details of any other relevant information.